COMMON TYPES OF ELEVATOR ACCIDENTS THAT CAN CAUSE INJURY
- Passengers falling down shaft when doors open without a car present
- Tripping and falling due to uneven elevator landing
- Clothing and limbs caught in closed doors
- Broken cables allowing the elevator to plummet and land abruptly
- Doors closing on passengers entering and exiting the elevator
COMMON TYPES OF ACCIDENTS INVOLVING ESCALATORS
- Metal teeth grabbing hold of fingers, toes, and clothing
- Rain and snow making the surface slippery, causing slip and falls
- Escalators stopping abruptly, causing people to either fall backward or pitch forward or to the side and continue falling down the steps or over the handrail
- A sudden stop causing an adult to drop a small child.
COMMON INJURIES FROM ELEVATOR AND ESCALATOR MALFUNCTIONS
Escalator and elevator accidents can cause serious and permanent injuries, including
- Hip injuries
- Brain Injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Shoulder and neck injury
- Broken bones
- Amputation injuries
PEOPLE WHO ARE MOST VULNERABLE
- People carrying baggage
- Elderly people
- Adults holding on to small children
- People with disabilities
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?
If you have been injured in an accident caused by an escalator or elevator, it is essential to have an experienced attorney investigating the matter of liability. Owners must comply with government regulations regarding inspection and service. The owner of the premises has the primary responsibility to ensure the safety of people legally on the property. But owners frequently hire maintenance companies who contract to assume part of the responsibility. Furthermore, professional inspectors are responsible for determining if the devices are in compliance with codes and are safe. Owners may rely on their inspections and believe the machinery to be safe when an inspector has made an error or an over-hasty inspection. An experienced Phoenix, AZ elevator and escalator accident attorney will look at all parties who could have contributed to the accident in order to determine liability.
PHOENIX, ARIZONA, ESCALATOR AND ELEVATOR INJURY ATTORNEYS CAN HELP!
If you have been injured in an accident involving an elevator or escalator, you may have a claim for compensation for your losses, including medical bills, lost earnings, pain and suffering, and other economic and intangible losses. However, because of the various layers of responsibility, you will need to rely on the expertise of a Phoenix, AZ premises liability attorney to thoroughly investigate the maintenance and inspection history of the equipment, gather evidence and photographs of the scene, interview witnesses, and document your injuries and losses.
The Arizona personal injury lawyers at Wattel and York have the legal expertise, passion for justice, and willingness to go all the way to trial if necessary to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation and case analysis. It takes no money up front to hire us, and you pay nothing unless we win money for you.